I had 3 fat quarters and a dream…to make mommyhood a little easier. Constantly getting up to fetch baby stuff was wearing thin on my nerves and my bum foot. So I decided to keep everything close with a mommy utility apron. This apron can hold binkies, burp cloths, wipes, bottles, your cell phone…whatever you need to keep close at hand. It’s great for you, or fill it up and give it as a gift to a new mom…and it’s oh so easy to make! Here’s how:
3 fat quarters – (these measure 18” x 22”)
Scissors & ruler/ rotary cutting supplies
Iron & ironing board
** The apron is double-layered for extra durability.
1. Apron pocket – cut the fat quarter you’ll be using for the pocket down to 12” x 22”.
2. Pocket trim – cut a 2” strip of fabric for the pocket trim (2” x 22”)
3. Sew the pocket trim to pocket right sides together. (95% of the time I sew at ¼” seam allowance, with the fabric at the edge of the presser foot). Iron the seam open.
8. Clip the corners and turn right side out. Press.
9. Now sew through all layers at the places where you want pocket seams. I did a tri fold to find 3 equally spaced pockets and sewed two seams. Remember to back stitch generously at the top of the pocket to get extra durability.
10. Strap: Cut 3” strips from the strap/trim fabric (3” x 22”). Sew as many strips together at the short ends, so that you have a strap long enough to wrap around your waist and tie the ends together (I used 3). Fold the strip in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and sew along the long edge.
You are done !