Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sew Simple Solutions: How Velcro Saves My Life

I think I may be in love with Velcro this week. It’s making my life a lot easier. Here are a few things that I modified and improved using it.
The Car Seat
Whenever we load Ally into her car seat the straps end up behind her back and we’ve got to dig them out from behind our squirmy baby. So I added some Velcro straps to the the sides of the seat cover.
small piece of "loop" on top and a long tail of "hook" at the bottom
This way we can secure the straps to each side, put baby girl in more easily. I used sew-in Velcro because with sticky-back Velcro there’s a danger of baby ripping the pieces off and sticking them in her mouth.
the "hook" tail wraps around the buckle and attaches to the "loop"

The High Chair
It’s the same situation with the high chair – a squirmy baby and the straps hidden behind her somewhere. For this one I hand sewed the Velcro pieces on. As you can see my stitching is not-so-great but it does the job. This makes buckling Ally into the seat so much easier.
my beautiful hand-stitching


I plan to do the same for her strollers.
Reusable Bags
Our beautiful neighboring city of Long Beach, CA just recently banned the use of plastic bags. Shops in the “LBC” are now offering only paper bags and charging 10 cents a pop. I think it’s a great idea. I’ve always tried to use green bags anyway but I tend to forget to bring them with me. They’re always in the car but I’d like to keep one in my purse for those instances when I take a walk to the market.
So I attached a small strap of fabric and some Velcro to one of my bags.
Now I can fold it up and keep it in my purse!
That's it for now. What have you done with Velcro lately?

2 comments:

  1. I think I need to velcro myself into my high chair...I’m always falling
    out ....hugs to you Hannah. c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that might not be a bad idea. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete