Monday, February 25, 2013

My new Silhouette and a kitchen sign tutorial

Hi!

It’s been a while and I think I’m back to crafting.  Raising a toddler is no joke, but now that I’ve been fortunate enough to quit my day job and moved in to full-time stay-at-home-mommy status, the crafting must commence! 
 

I’d like to introduce you to the newest member of my craft room, the Silhouette Cameo die cutting machine. I am in love with this thing!  It’s the perfect die-cutter for me because there are no cartridges to buy, so no extra clutter in my craft room. All the designs are online, or you can use your own designs.  Plus it looks so pretty in my room.
I’ve made a few things with it, including this sign for my kitchen/dining area.
 
Here’s a little step-by-step on how I made it.
1.       My scrap piece of wood measures roughly  45”x5” and is 1/8” thick. Paint it with 1 coat of white primer, 1 coat of white, then 1 messy coat of antique white (where you just swipe across a few times and don’t cover every inch). This will be the text color.
2.       Water down some tan craft paint and use a scraggly brush to swipe across the board here and there to give it some texture. I sprayed it with water and wiped back and forth across the board with a paper towel to further smooth out the tan lines.
3.      I designed my lettering in Adobe Illustrator first just to get the sizing right. Here, I used the font “Lemondrop”. You can download it off dafont.com for free.  Love it! Then I typed all the letters out in the Silhouette software at the correct size and cut it out all on one sheet. (If you don’t have a Silhouette, you could use letter stickers or print them and cut them out carefully. We’re crafty, we make it happen.)

I won't go into instructions for using the Silhouette here. The text tool in the Silhouette software is pretty straight-forward and all you really need to know are the basics of using the machine for this one.
4.       Draw a pencil mark where the bottom of the letters will be to line them up nicely. Space out all the lettering on the board, then one by one apply the letters with a glue stick.
 
5.       Now mix up the background color. I used red and brown to match my kitchen. Dab the paint gently around each letter in an up and down motion with a stencil brush or a sponge brush (what I used).
 
6. This is the satisfying part. Make sure the paint is kind of dry first. Doesn't have to be totally dry, just not watery. Carefully peel off the letters to reveal your text. Ahhh!
7. I sanded the edges. You could brush some tan streaks across the sign too for an even more weathered look.
8. Since my sign is so light I used some double sided tape to hang it.
Frankie the cat approves!

Here's a sign I made on canvas for the laundry room using the same technique and my new toy.





Thanks for checking this out!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment