Saturday, March 30, 2013

Upcycled Crochet Toddler Dress

This week I turned a floral print hand-me-down shirt from my sister into a cute crocheted dress for Ally! Here's how...

First, I cut off the top edge of the front, including the ruffle. Then I cut the back off at the same level as the front.
I finished the edges of the top front and back. Then I took in the sides - sewed the side seems from 0" above the bottom shirt ruffle to about 1" at the sleeve hole.
I pinned some darts at the top front.
Then I used a crochet-edging technique I learned here at the Sara vs. Sarah blog (method 3). I pierced the fabric with a large sewing needle (hole are about 5/8" apart) and used size F5 hook to do a blanket stitch all the way around (sc in each hole with ch2 in between). The yarn I used is pretty dense and thick so adjust the stitch to your needs. Finish off.

I did 4 rows of single crochet at the front and back. In the front, I tapered the sides a bit so that the front and back become the same width at the top.

For the straps I made 18 rows of single crochet on the right front side, then joined my strap to the back using a slip stitch. Repeat for the left side.
A single crochet row around the sleeves and neck hole finish it off nicely.

 For the bottom of the dress, I removed the bottom ruffle and finished the new bottom edge of the dress.
The same blanket stitch edging around the bottom (sc, ch2, sc), and then a row of ch3, slip stitch, ch3 around creates a nice scalloped edge.

Here's the finished dress. I love the teal and pink together. It's so shabby-chic!
Thanks for looking :) 

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lampshade DIY & Adding Trim to a Toddler Dress

This week I did a couple really easy projects. First, I took an old lamp that we've been using in Ally's room and added some fabric and trim to make it more kid-friendly.

This was one of my "use what you've got" projects. Ideally I would have matched the colors in her room a little better but since we're probably going to redecorate the room soon, this is temporary anyway. Here's what I did...

I laid the fabric onto the shade, right side down and traced the shape of the shade panel.
I cut out the panel leaving about 1/4" allowance on each side. Then trimmed the corners.
Folding the edges as I went, I hot glued the fabric to each panel.
Then I hot glued some ric-rac around the edges.

Easy peasy!

The second super-easy project I did was to add some trim to one of Ally's favorite dresses. She's tall and skinny so she usually outgrows her dresses in height way before width. So, adding some trim to the bottom she can wear this kitty dress a little bit longer.
Here's the dress.

Here's the trim. I used some trim that I had lying around and weaved some navy ribbon through the top, matching the kitty's collar and the buttons.
 I sewed the trim on above the ribbon and below it. Hopefully this will help keep the hem from turning up too. I can't stand when hems do that.
And here's Ally jumping around in her new and improved kitty dress. Yay!