Friday, April 26, 2013

A Toddler's Princess Room - The Beginning

When I decorated the nursery before my daughter Ally was born, I was practical. Even though we knew she was a girl I thought going neutral was a great idea. Neutrals can be used for a boy or girl. If we had another baby we could reuse everything. If the baby surprised us by being a boy, we wouldn't have to scramble to fix the nursery, etc.

Nursery Before - Neutral

Well, I should have known. Decorate a girl's nursery in neutral and you're sure to have a pink and purple wearing, tutu twirling, glitter loving girly-girl. So we're redecorating her room in a princess theme.

So far I've painted the walls "Ribbon Pink", a Valspar color from Lowe's. 
 

Pink Ribbon pink
And I remodeled the fan. Ally fell in love with a pink flower fan at Lowe's. We liked it too but we couldn't stand the thought of getting rid of a perfectly good, relatively new fan. So I remodeled the one we have.

The husband took it down and I spray painted all the metal parts white. Then I spray painted the blades pink and made a flower stencil using my handy-dandy Silhouette Cameo. I used a lighter pink spray paint for the flowers. Then I dotted the middle of each flower with a dab of white acrylic paint, and finally used a Sharpie paint pen to highlight the petals of each flower. I tried to do this at first with a brush and paint then quickly realized I don't have the steady hand I used to. The Sharpie paint pens worked out great. We replaced the glass dome and added some sparkly pulls.

Ally absolutely loves how her new room is coming along, but we have a long way to go. I'll have several more princess room posts and tutorials in the coming weeks!

Thanks for looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment