Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Toddler Princess Room - Heart Ruffle Pillow

I'm making good headway on the princess room and will have a few of my DIY projects up on the blog in the next few days. Here's a pink, ruffly heart pillow that I made for the princess bed.


 
The bed linens are Ikea "Emelina Rose" that I purchased from EBAY (Ikea was out of stock), and the sheets are lavender striped Circo sheets from Target. They were on clearance so I'm not sure if they'll have any in stock now but they sure were a steal at $12! Oh, and the bed is from Living Spaces. I'll post more, better pics of it in the future.

Here's how I made the ruffly heart...

I started the project intending to make a square pillow with a heart in the middle but ultimately ended up cutting out the heart shape, so never mind the squared base.

 

I cut out the heart using a 12x12 piece of scrapbooking card stock first, to get a nice shape. Then I traced it onto my dark pink dotted fleece and cut it out. I pinned it to the square base and sewed it on, but you can skip that step since I ended up making a heart shaped pillow. Just cut another heart out of fleece and save it for the back (don't sew it on yet).
 
 
 
Here's the ruffly satin trim I bought from Joann.com. It's nice not having to make the trim, but it wasn't cheap. When purchasing this, it's a good time to use one their 40 or 50% off coupons.
 
Now, I just pinned the trim around the edges of my heart shape, one time around, and carefully sewed it on using my machine. TIP: It's a good idea to finish the ends of the ribbon trim with either some fray-check, clear fingernail polish or like I did using a lighter and quickly burning the ends so they don't fray.
 
Now just pin the trim around a second time, and sew that layer on.

And a third time. I was going to do the whole hear but decided it looked really cute with the dotted fleece in the middle. More comfy too. So I stopped there.

I don't have pictures of the next steps but I'll tell you how to finish it. I cut the base into a heart shape first, leaving about 1/2" seam allowance around the ruffles and then...

  • Pin the ruffles inward so that they won't get caught up while sewing the 2 sides of the pillow together
  • Take your other fleece heart shape and pin it wrong sides together to this one, making sure the ruffles are all on the inside.
  • Leaving a space for turning and stuffing, sew around the heart
  • Turn, stuff and hand-sew the opening shut

Thanks for looking!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment