There was no pattern for this costume so I used a tunic to make a pattern and cut out the pieces from some bubble velour fabric I had leftover from Ally's pink room project (a yard is probably a safe measurement for size 3T). The front and back pieces of the dress are the same, cut a little longer than the tunic. The sleeves are cut on the fold (top edge) and are flared at the ends.
I also cut 2 pieces (front and back) out of some knit fabric to make a lining.
Then cut out a tummy for the front, using a soft pink plush...
Pin and sew the tummy onto the front.
Cut 2 cuffs for the sleeves, on the fold (fold is at the bottom) out of soft pink. I ended up shortening the sleeves so that they wouldn't be too long with cuffs added. Measure little one's arms to get a good length.
Open up one of the cuffs and pin it to the bottom of the sleeve, right sides together, stitch.
Here's how it will look after it's stitched on...
Fold the cuff under and stitch it again, along the seam. ( Finishing the edge wasn't required for this fabric)
Cut out 2 pieces for a tail, sew them right sides together, turn and stuff it with remnant fabric or polyfill.
Sew the neck edge of the front and front lining, right sides together (the wrong side of my knit has a gold print on it).
Cut a slit down the middle of both back pieces, pin and sew the neck edge, sewing down the sides of the notch as shown.
(The notch will allow little one's big noggin to fit through the neck. You'll be adding a hook and eye here)
Now, sewing the shoulder seams is tricky so I took a picture of some directions from another pattern that may help explain it.
Open out the facing, pin the shoulders together (lining to lining and front to back) and stitch one long seam across both.
Now, when it's turned right side out, it should look like this.
Pin and baste the arm holes.
Pin the sleeves to the arm holes, right sides together. Stitch. Repeat for 2nd sleeve.
Pin the sleeve seam and the front and back side seam (right sides together) leaving the lining out of the way. Stitch in one continuous seam. Repeat on the other side.
Now pin and sew the lining front and back on each side, right sides together. This way there are 2 layers to the dress.
Sew the tail to the back making sure not to include the back lining layer.
Now, to make the kitty dress fluffy I stuffed it with some quilt batting. Just cut a layer or 2 of batting twice the width of the dress.
Pin the batting to the inside of the dress, between the outer layer and the inside lining layer.
Stitch the batting to the dress at the bottom edge. I didn't sew the top edge but I did tack the batting to the dress in a few areas so that it stays in place.
Here's the primitive hem job I did. Considering this is a costume I thought I could take a shortcut here. Pull the lining back down to cover the batting and fold the top layer down over the lining. Then pin and stitch.
Hand sew some pink boa to the bottom of the dress.
Finish it off with a hook and eye in the back!
For the kitty ear headband, cut 4 ear shapes out of the pink bubble velour, and 2 smaller ones out of light pink.
Sew the smaller pieces to one set of the larger pieces.
Now sew the larger pieces right sides together and turn right side out.
Hot glue the bottom of each ear onto a headband.
Then hand stitch some more pink boa to the headband.
For the leg warmers I used some light pink Fun Fur to crochet 2 tubes that fit around her legs.
That's it. I'll try to remember to post some pictures from Halloween night.
Thanks for looking!